Home | Tourist Places | Temples | Hotels | Travel | Important Links | Special Photos | Advertise | Sitemap | Enquiry | Contact Us

Chennai

.............................................

..............................................

Thanjavur

..............................................

Kodaikanal

..............................................

Chidambaram

..............................................

Coimbatore

..............................................

Hogenakkal

..............................................

Mammalapuram

.............................................

Kancheepuram

..............................................

Madurai

   

Alappuzha

.............................................

Eravikulam

..............................................

..............................................

Thiruvananthapuram

..............................................

..............................................

Wayanad

..............................................

Varkala

   

.............................................

..............................................

..............................................

..............................................

..............................................

..............................................

..............................................

..............................................

..............................................

Hospet

..............................................

   

.............................................

..............................................

..............................................

   

.............................................

..............................................

Yanam

   

 
 
 


Panaji

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Goa

Panaji

................................................

Mormugao

................................................

Mapusa

................................................

Madgaon(Margao)

................................................

Ponda

................................................

Vasco-Da-Gama

................................................

This is the capital of Goa, and the North Goa district. It is situated on the banks of the river "Mandovi". It is connected to the mainland by bridges.

History

The origin of the name Panaji or Panjim has many explanations. Some of them include it being the corrupted version of "Ponjy" said to mean "the land that never floods" and also "Panch yma afsumgary" or "Five magnificent castles" which reportedly belonged to Sultan Adil Shah. The Portuguese called the city "Panjim" and after liberation it has seen its name changed to "Panaji".

It was a small fishing village with lots of coconut trees, creeks and fields. For centuries it remained so and was a neglected ward of Taleigao village with the only massive structure, the Adil Shah Fort by the Mandovi river. In 1632 the then Viceroy, Count de Linhares, Dom Miguel de Noronha built the 3.2km causeway linking Panjim with Ribandar village. It exists even today and is known as the "Pointe de Linhares" and at the time it was constructed, was the longest bridge in existence. Around this time, against the backdrop of the decline of Old Goa, the idea of Panjim becoming the Capital of Goa slowly gained momentum. On December 1 1759, the then Viceroy, Dom Manuel de Saldanha de Albuquerque, Count of Ega, shifted his residence from Panelim (near Old Goa) to Panjim. He moved to the newly re-modeled Adil Shah Fort, since known as "Idalcao's Palace" .

The "Father of Panjim" is a title that is said to belong to the Viceroy, Dom Manuel de Castro de Portugal ( 1826-1835 ). He began the process of slowly reclaiming land, initiated public projects, drainage systems and was also responsible for many of its government buildings and set the stage for Panjim to evolve into a magnificent city. By a royal decree on March 22, 1843 its status was elevated to a "City" and became the capital of Goa and was called "Nova Goa". The city was electrified in 1931. Over time it has undergone many changes under different administrations.
There are two old sections of the city existing today, one called "Fontainhas" and the other "San Thome". The hillock overlooking the city is called "Altinho".

Area 35.99 sq km
Population 757,407 (2001 Census)
Language Konkani, Marathi, Hindi, English

Panaji | Marmagao Harbour | Mapusa | Madgaon (Margao)

Pilar | Ponda | Vasco-Da-Gama



| HomeTourist Places | Temples | Hotels | Entertainment | Important Links | Advertise | Enquiry | Contact Us |

 

Powered By J B Soft System Chennai - 600 015.

Disclaimer : Pl note the contents and images are copied from the internet sources, and Books available, If any body wants to remove their copyrighted contents/images please mail to jsampath@gmail.com